Cottesloe Primary State School opened on October 1st, 1896 in the St. Columba’s Presbyterian Hall at the corner of Venn and Keane Streets with an enrolment of 30 children. During 1897 four classrooms were erected on the present site and 208 children moved in on April 18th, 1898. Two more rooms were added in 1899 and nine years later, two extra rooms were added on to the West end. By 1915, the school had an enrolment approaching 500. More additions were completed in 1986. Our current enrolment is just over 350 students – a great sized school, enabling the staff to know each student and their family.
The latest building which is now known as the Senior Block was completed in 2011. Infants or “Bubs”, which later became the Hearing Impaired School, was amalgamated to the Cottesloe Primary School site in 2014, increasing the facilities available to our community. This facility has been re branded as the Johnston Street Education Centre, offering service to many community groups, before and after school care as well as a playgroup. In 2014 phase 1 of our beautiful Nature Playground was completed in a culmination of 18 months planning and community fund raising. Phase 2 of our Nature Playground was completed in 2016, with extra nature areas developed around the school grounds and in the Kindergarten. In 2017 the School Administration was upgraded, improving the facility and the ICT infrastructure, truly bringing the school into the 21st century.
Cottesloe Primary has been built on the strong traditions with the high expectations of the local area. We are proud of our history and are respectful of the past , mindful of these as we grow the school to meet the needs and expectations of our students and community in the 21st Century.